Did you know that October is:
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month: Domestic Violence Awareness Month is an annual national observance bringing attention to this serious public health issue. When you suspect domestic abuse, your concern and support can help change a person’s life. Know the warning signs and know where to find help for a victim. Take a stand to stop the violence and keep your community safe. For Domestic Violence Emergencies – CALL 911 or the National Domestic Violence Hotline 800-799-7233 or visit http://www.thehotline.org – National Coalition Against Domestic Violence http://www.ncadv.org .
- Recognize the warning signs. Know how to report, understand what resources are available. Learn how much jealousy is too much and where you rank. Strengthen your relationship and keep it strong by keeping jealousy at bay. Direct link: http://www.militaryonesource.mil/health-and-wellness/family-violence
- Call Military OneSource, 800-342-9647, for local Family Advocacy Program contact information.
- Visit http://www.militaryonesource.mil/products?program=abuse to download Fact Sheets, Banners, Posters and Resource Guide.
- Bullying Prevention Awareness Month: Bullying is a form of aggressive behavior in which someone intentionally and repeatedly causes another person injury or discomfort. For resources and to get help now check out the below websites:
• Military OneSource Employee Assistance Program (EAP or Login) website to order (at no cost) the Bullies Are a Pain in the Brain book:
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women worldwide and the second-most common cancer overall.
• Susan G. Komen: http://ww5.komen.org
• Advanced Breast Cancer Community: http://www.advancedbreastcancercommunity.org
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month: Get tips and ideas for raising awareness of the contributions of workers with disabilities through social media – Check out The Exceptional Advocate at http://apps.militaryonesource.mil/efmp/news
• Visit https://www.militaryonesource.mil/products?program=efmp to download Fact Sheets, Posters, Resource Guides and Toolkits
October 31: Halloween: Ghosts, Goblins and other scary sights are abound – Military OneSource has resources to help you talk to your children about fears, staying safe, food allergy and food safety tips. Below are articles from the Military OneSource Employee Assistance Program (EAP or Login) website to help you get your Halloween off to a safe start:
- Fun Without Fear: Taking the Horror Out of Halloween for Young Children
- Halloween Safety Information for Parents
- Halloween Health and Safety Tips
- You can find recipes in the Mayo Clinic Health Library for a healthy trick or treat meal before the children head out. There are several categories of recipes like appetizer, dinner, snack and soup recipes available for you. You will find recipes like Carrot and Spice Quick Bread or Pumpkin Cream Cheese Dip and the Sweet and Spicy Snack Mix.
If you would like to carve your own military themed pumpkin, check out the templates found here: https://www.veteransunited.com/spouse/carve-military-themed-pumpkin-free-pumpkin-stencils
CHECK THIS OUT
The Military OneSource eNewsletter –
• Are You Ready to Vote?
• Take a Stand to End Domestic Violence
• Top 10 Things to Know About the New Blended Retirement System
Protect Your Credit – The Military Lending Act takes effect TODAY; to learn more visit: http://www.militaryonesource.mil/financial-and-legal/personal-financial-management-and-taxes?content_id=293448
Military OneSource Webinars: Click here to register – October Webinars
• Building Healthy Relationships Webinar: October 12
• Check website periodically for updates to additional webinars
Check out Archived Webinars – examples below:
n Nature and Prevention of Bullying – Bully Busting Activity Instructor’s Guide – look at three lessons that can be used with elementary and middle school students
Personalized Website Tour: Interested in learning more about Military OneSource? Why not set up a personalized virtual website tour – As YOUR Military OneSource Consultant, I’m here for YOU & just a phone call / email away. Have an upcoming event you would like Military OneSource to attend, please contact me.
- Michael J. Meier
- Minnesota Military OneSource Consultant
- (612) 751-4290 (cell)