When: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 9am – 2pm
Where: VA Medical Center 1 Veterans Drive Minneapolis, MN
FREE Parking at the VA Medical Center
For more information contact: Vetlaw Program – MACV | 651-200-4750
Don’t forget to check out out Calendar of Events page
You are cordially invited to save the date for the 2017 Joining Community Forces-MN Conference Series. JCF-MN Conferences unite Yellow Ribbon Network volunteers, service providers, and community leaders for the purpose of sharing best practices, building relationships, and providing updates on military support initiatives. Mark your calendar and share this opportunity with your colleagues and committee members. Registration is now open! For additional information please see the PDF below.
I am sorry to inform you that Roger Jensen passed away due to cancer related to Agent Orange. Roger was the Assistant Commander at The Hamel American Legion and a courageous man! He will be buried Monday, February 27th at 11:00 pm. His service will take place at St. Thomas The Apostle Catholic Church in Corcoran. Roger called Commander Bill Roberts several weeks ago requesting an Honor Guard at his service. Immediately after Mass we will move to the cemetery behind the church for Final Honors. We will be outside for a period of time so dress appropriately.
I spoke with Roger’s wife Sandra. I told her there would be a Rifle Volley, Taps and Flag Presentation. She said that’s what Roger wanted. I’m asking all of you to make a special effort to participate. We will meet at the Hamel American Legion at 9:00 pm. Please contact me ASAP and let me know if you are able to attend. Thank you.
- Dental Assistant Prosthodonist – Edina, MN
- ClearChoice Dental Implant Centers
- Apply on company website
- Payer Credentialing Coordinator – St. Paul
- Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare
- Apply on company website
- Epic inpatient Willow Analyst – Greater Minneapolis – St. Paul area
- Apply on company website
Who: MN Army National Guard Families with Children ages 5-18. We have enough space for up to families of 5. Other families will be put on a wait list.
What: Family Zoo Overnight
When: March 31-April 1, 2017 6:30 p.m.-9:00 a.m.
Where: MN Zoo, Discovery Bay, Apple Valley, MN
How: Register: (www.jointservicessupport.org/Info/45B329) Fee: Kid are no cost. Adults need to pay $47
About: Families will enjoy learning about the new Hawaiian monk seals and sleep next to the watery world of sharks in Discovery Bay. All overnights include behind the scenes tours, a light snack, light breakfast, an Animals After Dark t-shirt, and admission to the zoo the next day.
POC: Laura Groeneweg
MN National Guard
Lead Child and Youth Program Coordinator
O: 651.268.8695; M: 651.242.6938Email Laura.L.Groeneweg.firstname.lastname@example.org
WHO: Military service members and their families
WHAT: Operation Valentine
WHEN: Saturday February 19, 2017
WHERE: Best Western Chelsea Inn and Suites, 89 Chelsea Rd., Monticello, MN 55362 From 3:00-7:00PM
WHY: Join the 11th Annual Celebration of Operation Valentine at Best Western Chelsea Inn and Suites
HOW: Please RSVP by calling Best Western at (763)-271-8880, by February 13, 2017.
Please see the attached flier for detail information about discounts and other interesting offers that are available.
PBYR values the continuing partnership with the VFW
Military One Source Free tax consultations and electronic filing
What : Free tax consultations and electronic filing for eligible service and family members
Also Specialized Support, helpful articles, and financial counseling available.
How: Call 1-800-342-9647 or go to MilitaryOneSource.mil
Please see the PDF below for complete information.
WHO: All Branches Currently serving and Veterans
WHAT: Ice Fishing Event
WHEN: Saturday, Feb 4, 2017
WHERE: H4H, West Medicine Lake in Plymouth, MN
POC: General Inquires, email@example.com or (612) 987-5466
Fishing for Life serves kids, families & communities through fishing and outdoor programs.
Ticket prices start at:
$53 per Upper Level
$69 per Lower Level – (Standing Rail Only)
$89 per Lower Level
$109 per Club Level
* Ticket to see Wild take on Predators
* Commemorative T-Shirt
* Camouflage Drawstring Bag
* Pre-game on-ice photo at 4:15 p.m.
* Pre-game party in Michelob Golden Light Fan Zone Starting at 4:30 p.m.
* First 500 tickets purchased receive a Minnesota Wild Challenge Coin
All tickets purchased are entered into a drawing for autographed pucks, player cards (winners will be notified at their seats during the game), a drawing for Zamboni Rides and to sit on the bench during pre-game warm-ups (winners will be notified two days before the game.)
PURCHASE TICKETS : Beyond the Yellow Ribbon night
Limited number of tickets are available in each price point and are on a first come, first serve basis. To purchase tickets and support BTYR, simply use the link above Be sure to share after you purchase for your chance at an autographed hockey stick! The more you share, the more chances you have.
Annette Brechon Kuyper
Director of Military Outreach
MN Department of Military Affairs
20 West 12th Street
St Paul, MN 55155-2004
2016 Suits for Soldiers – Suit Giveaway
WHAT: Giveaway of gently used and dry-cleaned suits and professional attire for men and women
WHEN: Wednesday November 30, 3016 – 12:00 PM to 4:00PM
WHERE: Farmers Insurance 6625 West 78th Street Bloomington, MN 55439
WHY: To support our veterans transitioning from the military to civilian life
HOW: Go to the address above, browse and try on a gently used and dry-cleaned suit, and take it home.
What: Employment Ready Veterans- A Job Search Training Series for U.S. Military Veterans
When: Monday, Dec 12 thru Friday, Dec 16
8:30 am to 12:30 pm
Where: Burnsville WorkForce Center
2800 County Road 42 West * Burnsville, MN 55337
How: Registration is required, register online at:
Please see attached PDF for more information on this training.
Sunday, November 20, 2016, 4:00 p.m.
Wayzata High School Auditorium, 4955 Peony Lane N, Plymouth, MN 55446
Please feel free to forward the message and the attachment. Everyone is welcome. Thank you.
WHO: Yellow Ribbon community
WHAT: Blue Star Moms Chapter #16 is Collecting items for Holiday package
WHEN: November 6, 2016
WHY: To Package 50 large flat boxes to be send overseas to the men and women serving our country
HOW: Mail your donation to PCBSM PO Box 258 Pine City, MN 55063
Did you know that October is:
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month: Domestic Violence Awareness Month is an annual national observance bringing attention to this serious public health issue. When you suspect domestic abuse, your concern and support can help change a person’s life. Know the warning signs and know where to find help for a victim. Take a stand to stop the violence and keep your community safe. For Domestic Violence Emergencies – CALL 911 or the National Domestic Violence Hotline 800-799-7233 or visit http://www.thehotline.org – National Coalition Against Domestic Violence http://www.ncadv.org .
- Recognize the warning signs. Know how to report, understand what resources are available. Learn how much jealousy is too much and where you rank. Strengthen your relationship and keep it strong by keeping jealousy at bay. Direct link: http://www.militaryonesource.mil/health-and-wellness/family-violence
- Call Military OneSource, 800-342-9647, for local Family Advocacy Program contact information.
- Visit http://www.militaryonesource.mil/products?program=abuse to download Fact Sheets, Banners, Posters and Resource Guide.
- Bullying Prevention Awareness Month: Bullying is a form of aggressive behavior in which someone intentionally and repeatedly causes another person injury or discomfort. For resources and to get help now check out the below websites:
• Military OneSource Employee Assistance Program (EAP or Login) website to order (at no cost) the Bullies Are a Pain in the Brain book:
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women worldwide and the second-most common cancer overall.
• Susan G. Komen: http://ww5.komen.org
• Advanced Breast Cancer Community: http://www.advancedbreastcancercommunity.org
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month: Get tips and ideas for raising awareness of the contributions of workers with disabilities through social media – Check out The Exceptional Advocate at http://apps.militaryonesource.mil/efmp/news
• Visit https://www.militaryonesource.mil/products?program=efmp to download Fact Sheets, Posters, Resource Guides and Toolkits
October 31: Halloween: Ghosts, Goblins and other scary sights are abound – Military OneSource has resources to help you talk to your children about fears, staying safe, food allergy and food safety tips. Below are articles from the Military OneSource Employee Assistance Program (EAP or Login) website to help you get your Halloween off to a safe start:
- Fun Without Fear: Taking the Horror Out of Halloween for Young Children
- Halloween Safety Information for Parents
- Halloween Health and Safety Tips
- You can find recipes in the Mayo Clinic Health Library for a healthy trick or treat meal before the children head out. There are several categories of recipes like appetizer, dinner, snack and soup recipes available for you. You will find recipes like Carrot and Spice Quick Bread or Pumpkin Cream Cheese Dip and the Sweet and Spicy Snack Mix.
If you would like to carve your own military themed pumpkin, check out the templates found here: https://www.veteransunited.com/spouse/carve-military-themed-pumpkin-free-pumpkin-stencils
CHECK THIS OUT
The Military OneSource eNewsletter –
• Are You Ready to Vote?
• Take a Stand to End Domestic Violence
• Top 10 Things to Know About the New Blended Retirement System
Protect Your Credit – The Military Lending Act takes effect TODAY; to learn more visit: http://www.militaryonesource.mil/financial-and-legal/personal-financial-management-and-taxes?content_id=293448
Military OneSource Webinars: Click here to register – October Webinars
• Building Healthy Relationships Webinar: October 12
• Check website periodically for updates to additional webinars
Check out Archived Webinars – examples below:
n Nature and Prevention of Bullying – Bully Busting Activity Instructor’s Guide – look at three lessons that can be used with elementary and middle school students
Personalized Website Tour: Interested in learning more about Military OneSource? Why not set up a personalized virtual website tour – As YOUR Military OneSource Consultant, I’m here for YOU & just a phone call / email away. Have an upcoming event you would like Military OneSource to attend, please contact me.
- Michael J. Meier
- Minnesota Military OneSource Consultant
- (612) 751-4290 (cell)
What: IAVA and HOW are sponsoring a kayaking and fishing event on August 13, 2016 at Fish Lake Regional Park in Maple Grove. Included is the link to the event as well as the link to both organizations home page.
When: August 13, 2016 – must register by August 8
Where: Fish Lake Regional Park in Maple Grove
How: links below are for the event as well as the link to both organizations home page
IVAV Link: http://iava.org/
HOW Link: http://heroesonthewater.org/
Wright County Parks is working with a number of partners to provide the 2016 Disabled Veterans Duck Hunt at Robert Ney Regional Park on October 8, 2016. The Veterans Duck Hunt originated 5 years ago with collaboration from Wright County Parks and Pheasants Forever. As the event planning started 4 Points Retriever Club, Hasty-Silver Creek Sportsmen’s Club, North American Hunting Retriever Association, Wright Count Veterans Services, and Capable Partners all joined in and have been mainstays of the event. These organizations time and efforts on this event have been rewarded by providing eight (8) individuals the opportunity each year to hunt on land that is otherwise unavailable to the public. We are proud to offer this event to people that have given a part of themselves to this country. Anyone interested in participating in this event must submit an application to Wright County Veterans Services. The application deadline is August 29, 2016. After that day the eight (8) participants will be selected through random lottery. The selected individuals will be notified by September 5, 2016 by 5 p.m. If you were not selected you will not be contacted.
For any questions please contact Debbie Ernst with Wright County Veterans Services.
You can apply online at http://www.co.wright.mn.us/vetserv or see flyer and application below.